I came home the other day and all I wanted was some delicious comfort food that was quick and easy. You can’t blame a girl! Here are my autumn comfort food survival tips that will help you survive any bad day.
The other day I was in a bad mood, like fire and fury bad mood. They always say you should never cross a woman scorned, well for that matter you should never cross Anna’s scorned. Take that as a both a lesson and a warning.
Oh what a day, picture this: it was pouring down with rain, it cold and dark. There I was standing on the train platform waiting to get home and all I wanted was to crawl into my warm comfy bed. But oh no that wasn’t going to happen. My train got delayed repeatedly for over an hour. Urgh, I then lost my debit card and train ticket. Once I got on the damn train home, it was delayed again and we ended up sitting on a train going nowhere for over an hour. I felt like shouting at the universe – why me! My Amazon parcel which I told the delivery guy to leave it with a neighbor didn’t – left it in the foyer of my building. I felt like screaming and cursing the sky.
By the time I got home I was also pretty damn hungry. I shut the front door and closed my curtains; by this point I wanted to shut out the outside world. I had zero energy and really wanted to crawl into bed but my stomach was making a rather loud rambling noise, so I had to feed myself before even thinking about bedtime.
All I wanted was some comfort food. Just something quick and easy and doesn’t required much cooking thoughts. So off course I came up with a pasta meal. A pasta meal for me just scream comfort food essential. Where would I be if I didn’t have pasta? The funny thing is I didn’t have pasta till I met Richard I know you must think I’m crazy!
I feel it that time of year for comfort food, especially as we’re in October now. The month where it gets notoriously darker and colder. For me, I basically live on comfort food round this season.
So with that said and done; Here are my Autumn comfort food survival tips and it might help you if you’re feeling lost this season. Or if you’re having a bad day.
- Don’t be scared for the quick easy cooking route. So feel free to grab the tinned sauce or the package meal once in a while in your local store. However, don’t make a habit of grabbing it all season long as they contained loads of sugar.
- Try to have the healthy option when choosing your favorite comfort food, it will delay the dreaded cold/sniffle. You will thank me later.
- Experiment with your favorite comfort food meal, if you normally have mashed potato – had scramble eggs instead. Or if you got nothing to go with that bowl of chicken, try a boiled egg.
- Treat yourself once a fortnight to that special comfort food meal. Mine is spaghetti Bolognese.
- Instead of a side salad – try to switch it up with a warm soup.
- Enjoy seasonal comfort food such as pumpkin pie or tomato basil pasta dish.
- Make a long recipe list of all the comfort food meal you want to enjoy when having a bad day. As when you do have that off day you have that list to refer to.
- Read a comfort food recipe book and look at all the food porn.
That was my Autumn comfort food survival tips, do you have any to add?