When life give you lemon, go and bake lemon cake off course! Well in my case anyway go and bake some of momma homemade lemon cake.
At the weekend I was visiting my parents and we decided to do some baking. When I see we I mean – mum and I. It a little tradition we have, where we would bake together near Valentine’s day. Instead of giving then men in our lives the usual sweets and chocolate – we would bake them a cake. They do say a way to a man heart is through their stomach. I don’t necessarily think that is true but hey I never seen my father or my husband turn down cake.
My mum (and I hope she doesn’t mind me saying on here) got diabetic so this homemade lemon cake is sugar free and good for anyone with diabetic.
It was really easy and I thought I would show you how to make your own homemade lemon cake. The original recipe was from here but we changed it around a little.
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 225g (8 oz) butter, at room temperature
- 225g Splenda granulated sweetener
- 2 Large eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lemon (or use lemon juice)
The baking part:
- First preheat the oven to 180C (160C Fan or Gas 4).
- Then greased the loaf tin with baking parchment
- Now start to mixed together the flour, baking powder, Splenda in a large bowl.
- Now add the squeezed lemon juice – you do NOT want to go ott wit this so my advice would be to squeeze perhaps 2 tablespoons on lemon juice.
- Mix the lemon juice with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Mix the eggs, and butter together in the bowl and then stir them together till everything is in liquid form.
- Very carefully spoon in the mixture to the loaf tin. Spread the mixture evenly and be careful not to spill.
- Transfer the loaf tin to the oven and bake for 1 hour – those do keep checking on it every 10-15 mins.
- One way to know if the cake is done is to take it out the oven and test it with a knife – put the knife in the middle and if it comes out clean then you’ll know the cake is done. If it doesn’t then put it in the oven for a little longer.
- Once the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool down before consuming.
And there you go – homemade lemon cake. As the cake is a little dry, its best to have it with ice cream or with chocolate sauce.
And let me just finish up by saying that, yes both my father and my husband enjoyed the cake and there was no complaint.
Let me know if you bake this yourself and I hoped you have enjoyed this.